Java Rice is a dish so beloved that two different cultures claim it as their own. While it’s named after an island in Indonesia, Java rice is also an immensely popular Filipino dish. And it couldn’t be more simple. Just leftover rice mixed with a handful of pantry items, including turmeric which gives it a gorgeous blast of color, quickly fried with lots of crispy garlic bits. Best of all? This bowl of pure comfort can be all yours in under 10 minutes!
Java Rice always starts with leftover cooked rice. (Chilled rice is the best for frying. The grains stay separate and instead of absorbing the oil and getting mushy, they get lightly crisped.) I begin making it by combining the seasonings.
Then I heat the pan and sauté the garlic. I like a lot of garlic, and I like it to get nice and golden. Be careful of course not to let the garlic burn.
Add the remaining scallions and season to taste:
And that’s it-a delicious side that goes with just about anything, ready in just a few minutes. You can top it with a perfect fried egg or enjoy the Java rice on its own. It’s particularly good served with:
Whatever you enjoy this Java Rice with, please take a moment to comment below and tag us in your pics @funkyasiankitchen-we love hearing from you!
- 2 cups cold cooked rice
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil divided
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 2 scallions minced
- In a bowl mix rice with turmeric powder, salt, soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of oil, and ground black pepper to taste.
- Use a fork to break up the rice. Pour the sauce over the rice and stir to combine.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat for several minutes and add 1 tablespoon of oil, garlic, and half of the scallions.
- Stir with a spatula or wooden spoon and cook for 20 seconds until fragrant.
- Continue to stir and cook for another minute until fragrant and some of the garlic pieces just start to turn golden. Adjust the heat as needed to avoid burning the garlic.
- Add rice to the pan. Stir and toss constantly for 1-2 minutes until rice is heated through. Add the remaining scallions and stir to combine.
- Taste the rice and adjust with a little salt and pepper as needed. Turn off the heat and transfer to serving bowls or plates. Serve immediately.