- 6 oz young ginger
- 2/3 cup mirin
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dashi powder (optional)
- Use the edge of a small spoon or a vegetable brush and peel the ginger. Next finely mince the ginger. You’ll need to do this by hand.
- Place the ginger into a storage container.
- Add the mirin, soy sauce, salt, and dashi powder to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil over high heat. As soon as it boils. turn the heat off and let the sauce cool to room temperature.
- Pour the sauce over the ginger. Stir to combine. Store the ginger in the fridge until ready to use.
- The sauce lasts for several weeks in the fridge. (Always use a clean utensil when spooning the ginger out of the container).
*To make this gluten free be sure to use gluten free soy sauce
*If you are a vegetarian, use vegetarian dashi powder or just omit
Keywords: asian condiments, young ginger