- 1 package natto (fermented soybeans)
- 6 ounces fresh okra
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion
- 2 pinches of katsuobushi (smoked bonito flakes)*
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt (for blanching okra)
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add the salt and the okra and boil for 2 minutes. Drain in a colander and cool under running water for a couple of seconds. Set the okra on a cutting board.
- Trim the ends off of the okra and discard. Then cut the okra into thin slices. Divide the okra into two small bowls.
- Top each bowl of okra with half of the natto packet. (You can discard the sauce and mustard or use it to top the bowls.
- Top the natto with the scallions and the katsuobushi. Serve immediately with soy sauce on the side.
*To make this vegan, omit the smoked bonito flakes.
Keywords: natto, okra, healthy, fermented, soy beans