For the Meatballs:
- 1 pound ground pork (not lean)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon oyster sauce
- 3 Tablespoons chopped lemongrass
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro stems
- 1 Tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha or other garlic chile sauce
- 4 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Ketchup
- Mix the sriracha, mayonnaise, and ketchup. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Combine the ground pork, sugar, fish sauce, lemongrass, red pepper flakes, ground black pepper, and garlic in a bowl. Mix to thoroughly combine.
- Next add the oil and mix again to combine.
- Scoop the mixture into 2 Tablespoon portions. You should yield 12. With clean hands roll the balls in your palms to smooth the surface.
- Place the meatballs on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 425. Roast the meatballs for 18-20 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through (break one open to check or take a temperature test. It should be 165 degrees).
- Serve immediately with the dipping sauce on the side.
*If you are using a lean ground pork mixture, you may want to spray or brush some oil on the meatballs before they go into the oven. This will ensure better flavor, more moisture, and an even golden crust.
Keywords: vietnamese meatballs, bun cha, appetizers