The funk of salted eggs, long a beloved Asian flavor, is finally catching on here in the states, and I am here for it! If you are not familiar with this trendy ingredient, my Salted Egg Salad is a perfect place to start. This is a popular Filipino dish, usually eaten more like a relish or side dish alongside grilled meats. Since this doesn’t require any cooking, it’s a perfect summer dish.
Salted eggs, usually duck eggs, are cured in a salt brine. This gives loads of complex flavor, especially to the yolk, which become really dense and creamy. Buttery and rich, they are used to flavor everything from chips to coffee drinks to stir fries. Recently I saw salted egg cookies at Costco! In China, they are frequently served with Congee, or used to make their iconic moon cakes. This Salted Egg Salad is a typical use for them in the Philippines. While you can make your own salted eggs at home, they are readily available at Asian grocers. They are sold in their shells, and have a long shelf life.
Making Salted Egg Salad
This is a very fast recipe. First I start by prepping the veggies.
Now that all the veggies are prepped, it’s time to break into the salted eggs. Make sure you are cutting on a stable surface and I placed a wet paper towel to keep the egg from rocking. You can also use a kitchen towel as well. It’s important that the knife is sharp as you will be using some force to break through the shell and cut through the egg. Use the point of your knife and start at the center of the egg. Push into the egg and come down in one firm move. Then rotate your egg and do the same thing.
Salted eggs cannot be peeled as the shell pretty much adheres itself to the egg. So use a spoon and scoop carefully, avoiding any bits of shell.
Now the only thing left to do is to season with a little lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
This richly flavored Salted Egg Salad is the perfect accompaniment to simply prepared meat or fish.
I can’t wait for you to try this dish and find out what all the salted egg fuss is about! Please take a second to rate and comment on the recipe below, and tag us in your pics @funkyasiankitchen, we love hearing from you!
- 3 salted duck eggs
- 3 small persian cucumbers or ⅓ large European cucumber
- 3 tomatoes- any kind is fine
- ¼ red onion
- Handful of cilantro
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1 lemon
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Wash the cucumber. Next, cut it in half lengthwise and then slice across it into chunky bite-size pieces.
- Put the cucumber into a bowl. Wash and then dice the tomatoes into large pieces and add it to the bowl of cucumbers.
- Dice the red onion into a small pieces. Rinse the onion in a colander under cold running water and then drain the water completely. Add it to the bowl of veggies.
- Chop the cilantro and add it with the scallion to the veggies.
- Peel and dice the eggs. Add them to the bowl.
- Cut and squeeze the lemon over the veggies and season with ground black pepper to taste.
- Gently mix the ingredients and taste. Adjust the seasoning with a little salt or pepper if needed. Serve Salted Egg Salad immediately.
Keywords: filipino, pinoy, condiments, sides, vegetarian, eggs