- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- ⅓ cup japanese mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce*
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 large clove garlic finely minced
- Place the sesame seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat.
- Lightly toast them for 3-5 minutes until they are a golden color and fragrant.
- Place them in a mortar and grind them coarsely. (Alternatively, you can also place the sesame seeds in a heavy duty plastic zip top bag, squeeze out all of the air, and crush the seeds by using a rolling pin until you have the right ground texture.)
- Brush the sesame seeds out of the mortar and into a bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and garlic. Mix well.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Roasted Sesame Dressing keeps well for a week. Stir before using.
*to make this gluten free be sure to use a GF soy sauce
*use a vegan mayonnaise to make a vegan friendly version
*if you can find unhulled sesame seeds, you are such a lucky person and I envy you! Toast the sesame seeds exactly the same way but for several minutes longer until they are a medium golden color. They should be very fragrant. Turn the heat down a little if you see the sesame seeds getting too dark.
Keywords: dressing, salads, healthy, japanese, summer, sesame